[nagdu] Preparing for Planned Retirement

Buddy Brannan buddy at brannan.name
Mon Oct 5 04:37:54 UTC 2009

Hey y'all,

Well, I guess the writing's been on the wall a little while.

Since July, after getting home from Melanie's neck surgery (when Chet
was sick), I've been working him less. Of course, a lot of that was
due to his being sick. Certainly for the better part of July. Some of
it, we just haven't had a lot of going to do. But the more I think
about it, the more I see it's time to start planning for Chet's
retirement. I made the decision yesterday, officially, although I
suppose Chet's been in semi-retirement for some time, it's just that I
never bothered to tell myself so.

But, it isn't real until you start doing the applications. Or until
working actually stops. In my case, it's the former.

I knew this was coming. With his increasing anxiety on the long car
rides, which he understandably associated with hospitals, or so I
suppose, his slowing down on our routine trips (very bored with the
neighborhood), and continued animal distractibility (a real problem
taking Alena to school, with other pet dogs along for the ride to drop
other kids off), combined with Chet's upcoming ninth birthday in
February, I know, even in the best case, his working career won't go
on a lot longer. Knowing this, I thought it would be better to start
making arrangements now rather than waiting for later. Because of my
wife and daughter's health issues (Melanie being less mobile and Alena
being, well, nine and more mobile, along with her other challenges),
traditional school training, as nice as it is, is just out of the
question. I simply can't take even the 12 days required for home and
away. Melanie would have too difficult a time, if nothing else. So
knowing that there will certainly be a wait, I started applications
now. I just sent in my renewal to TSE, noting all of this. I expect I
will apply to other schools that might offer home training as well,
I'm fairly sure Fidelco and GDF would work with me, so I expect I'll
send apps there, too. But the TSE one went out today.

And of course, I'm already having second thoughts, even though I know
this is the right approach. Sigh.
--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Phone: (814) 860-3194 or 888-75-BUDDY