[nagdu] Petting and catching up

Julie J julielj at windstream.net
Sun Oct 18 21:58:55 UTC 2009

I'm not getting all the messages in order, so if I'm confused...well, don't
mind me! *smile*
I agree with Dar, some dogs are beasts.  I've been around a few and even
owned one when I was younger.  Even the two I have now have their moments.

I do allow petting if the person asks, I have the time and we aren't moving.
When I grant permission for petting I tell the person they can pet as long
as the dog remembers his manners.  No manners is the end of it, no
explanations no apologies.  I never allowed anyone to pet Monty for a long
while after I first got him.  He was way too excitable and would go insane
with overenthusiastic greetings.  In the past few months I am letting some
people pet him, although very few have much of an interest.  Monty is
remembering his manners very well these days.  It only took forever to get
there. *smile*

I do not have Monty sit or down everytime I stop.  If I am standing I have
no issue with him standing, unless it is only for a brief moment and I will
be returning to sitting.  Anyway I find that if I have him sit or down, it
signals to people that I am going to be there for a while and I of course
have plenty of time to answer their questions.  Sometimes I do and I don't
mind.  Other times I have stuff to do, having Monty standing next to me in a
ready to guide stance lets people know that we are busy in some capacity.

And the gentle leader...I do have one and use it on Monty sometimes.  I used
it a lot more when we were working hard on task training, especially
distraction issues.  I will still take it out and use it on occasion.  I
think the state fair was the last time I used it.  I do not see it as the
"bad dog" collar or as a punishment or anything like that.  I use it as a
preventative measure.  If we are in a situation where I know he is going to
be prone to distraction I will put it on so that we don't encounter
difficulties.

You can correct with the gentle leader, but it is not at all like correcting
with a chain collar.  You should use a steady, fairly slow pull.  If you
yank you can cause serious damage to the dog's spine.

Welcome to all the new people!  I saw some new names/email addresses.  If
you have a moment please introduce yourselves.

Julie