[nagdu] Dogs listening

Julie J julielj at windstream.net
Mon Oct 19 12:59:47 UTC 2009

Lora,

I really think it depends on the dog and the situation.  I know Monty and I
know the signs of when he is distracted, bored and goofing off, confused  or
when he is really trying to communicate something to me.  From someone
else's perspective these things might all look the same though.  How I
handle him in each situation is different, even though it may look like the
same behavior to someone else.
I guess the short answer is that you know your dog and know what he needs in
terms of guidance and encouragement.  Some dogs need more of one and less of
the other.  I think this is where that whole matching dog to handler thing
comes in.  I know that I am not an emotional cheerleader.  I need a dog that
is confident and won't crumble when one of us makes a mistake.

Example...when I started taking Monty to work with me he slipped and fell on
the slick tile floor on the stairs.  Result, he didn't want to walk on the
stairs.  He refused my forward command to the stairs.  Understanding that
his refusal was from fear I worked on that with him.  Corrections would have
made it worse.  Instead I heeled him on the stairs a couple of times so he
could have better footing and gain confidence.  When he pulls into the
harness it increases the likelihood of slipping.  but now he will guide on
the stairs because he has gained confidence and learned to pull very lightly
in that area.

JMHO
Julie