[nagdu] ranting

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Mon Oct 19 19:04:01 UTC 2009

Well said, Linda.

Lora, I'm so sorry that it is so difficult for you to resolve Trice's issues
and that the school is not taking responsibility but instead trying to blame
you when you're doing what they tell you to.  So frustrating!  I hope that
by contacting the director you can get better results.  You've put an awful
lot into this dog, more than you should have to with a professionally raised
and trained guide dog.  Hugs.

To me, it does sound like a fear aggression issue.  Since I'm not there, I
can't say for sure.  It does sound, though, like Trice has some anxiety
issues and is very afraid of things.  Fear aggression is much more difficult
to fix than normal aggression.  Getting it under control requires therapy
more than what one considers training.  It is especially difficult to
diagnose if you don't know enough of the dog's history to know what caused
it and what the dog's triggers are.  It is completely unpredictable, and the
dog can go from sweet and peaceful to vicious attack mode in an instant.  No
posturing or warning to give the handler time to gain control, just a full
out attack on the spot.  Ugh!  I know quite a few people with rescue dogs --
including my roomie Daisy's dad -- with the problem.  Pet owners can deal
with the problem by not putting the dog in a setting where it can cause
problems.  A guide dog handler really can't do that, or what would be the
point?  Can't really just avoid people and dogs and public settings and
co-workers coming into your office.

I wish I had something positive to offer, but it does sound like the lunging
and snarling is an issue that does have to be dealt with as soon as is
humanly possible.  I can't imagine having to face this with your first two
dogs in a row.  My heart goes out to you.

Best wishes, and do keep us all posted.

Tami Smith-Kinney