[nagdu] Dogs listening

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Mon Oct 19 20:42:56 UTC 2009

Yeah, and his ongoing health problems add to the stress he feels for sure.
I don't understand a school's sending out a dog that was sick when he was
there and expecting you to take on the expense of resolving those health
issues when they retain ownership of the dog.

And, Lora, didn't you discuss his behavioral issues with them during
training, as well?

This is not the only case I've heard of over the past year or so of schools
sending home dogs with unresolved behavioral issues and even health
problems, then inisiting it's the new handler's fault for not correcting a
problem that existed when they were first introduced to the dog...  I think
that attitude is what makes my hair stand on end.  When the first response
is to avoid taking responsibility by placing it on the person who is dealing
with the problem, I can't see how this is helpful to anyone even short-term.
Long term, that automatic assumption that it's the other person's fault
means that any potential gap in the training or health management of the
dogs will not be dealt with so that it doesn't continue to happen to others.

I'm not saying this to dis the schools, or to minimize their contribution in
turning out great guides and making good matches  as they do.

Tami Smith-Kinney