[nagdu] Terminology

Marion & Martin swampfox1833 at verizon.net
Tue Oct 20 09:19:16 UTC 2009

Dear All,
    There are many terms that can be used to describe our dogs. Like many
other terms, sometimes something gets associated with the first or the most
popular brands, like Kleenex. Since The Seeing Eye was the first school to
train guide dogs, their name has become associated with all dogs that do
this work. However, the use of the words "guide dog" in the name of the
schools came out of the term, not vice versa, and there are several schools
that use this term in their names - Guide Dogs for the Blind, Guide Dogs of
America, Guide Dogs of the desert, Guide Dog Foundation, & Guide Dogs of
Texas. The school that calls itself Guide Dogs for the blind frequently
shortens its name to "Guide Dogs", perhaps to give itself some name
recognition and to take advantage of the term to create some brand identity
of their own. The term "dog Guide", as best as I can determine, was coined
by The Seeing Eye in an effort to lessen the brand identity of the schools
whose names begin with "Guide Dog". Don't get me wrong, I am not criticizing
any of this, as it is all a part of good,savvy marketing. I do it myself
with my stage name!
    Even though I do not have a dog from that school, there are times I have
referred to my dog as a "seeing eye dog" because of its name recognition. I
once went into an Asian restaurant and was told I couldn't enter because of
my dog. I tried to explain to the person at the door that my dog was a guide
dog, but I felt that the language barrier was the problem and not ignorance
of my rights. "Guide dog" can sound like "guard dog" to someone with a
limited understanding of English. (In fact, I have seen many newspaper
articles in which a typographical error changed "guide" to Guard" and this
is from someone who should have a better grasp of the language than most!)
When I told this person my dog was "a seeing eye dog", she understood and
apologized profusely!
    If we really want to get technical about the whole thing, an even more
general term for our dogs is "service animal"; however, that may soon change
when the Department of Justice releases its new rules. It is expected that
the term will become "service dog" in order to clear up any confusion about
such things as "service snakes" and the array of other pets some claim are
service animals.
    I, personally, prefer the term "guide dog" only because this is what I
have become accustomed to saying. Furthermore, the name of our organization
is "National Association of Guide Dog Users", so "guide dog" can help us
create some brand recognition for ourselves. I also think "NAGDU" ROLLS OFF
THE TONGUE A BIT BETTER than "NADGU"! (SMILE)

Peace!
Marion