[nagdu] The Requirement of a Harness

Julie J julielj at windstream.net
Tue Oct 27 22:51:42 UTC 2009

Dar and all,

all of the white cane laws that I have read state a white or silver colored
cane.  I haven't read any that mention the specially colored tape.  I think
it was added to make the cane stand out more-to be more visible.  Also all
of the white cane laws that I have read also include guide dogs that are
noticeable because of a harness.

I totally agree with Jeanine.  Just because you can legally do a thing
doesn't make it a good idea.  For example those white cane laws ensure that
blind pedestrians have the right of way, but I sure don't make a habit of
walking out into moving traffic to test my rights. *smile*

Julie