[nagdu] The Requirement of a Harness

Marion & Martin swampfox1833 at verizon.net
Wed Oct 28 00:25:23 UTC 2009

Dar,
    I don't think the lack of a harness is what causes the problems; rather,
I believe it is the lack of information by the staff of public accomodations
that create them! It is our responsibility as advocates to educate the
public. we should be the experts and provide the correct information based
upon our best understanding of the law, not upon our opinions or our
preferences.
    One thing I learned from some very informative conversations with
experts in this field is that the information we share should be broad
enough so as to not cause confusion and, by creating such confusion, create
access problems for our brothers and sisters who have other disabilities
that are mitigated by the use of service animals. This includes those who
may choose to train their own! If we comply with someone's insistance that
we "prove" our dogs are service animals by producing documentation, we may
compromise the access of another who may not have such proof. we may also
compromise the place of business that denies access to someone without such
proof, opening them up to litigation and possible criminal prosecution. On
the other hand, if we educate them, all of these problems may some day be
eliminated! JMHO!

Fraternally yours,
Marion

Fraternally yours,