[nagdu] update

Steve Johnson stevencjohnson at centurytel.net
Thu Oct 29 02:58:13 UTC 2009

Hi Laura,

Did they say why you should use this other side of the street?  Is the
potential startle reflex occurring because of working the dog with traffic
and not against it?  Is it a really busy street?  You have probably already
answered all of these questions before, but the first couple you might want
to ask the trainer about.

I have to be honest with you in that my LD Misha had this same/similar
startle reflex on a very heavy traveled 5 lane road and we tended to have
the startles occur when we worked with the traffic.  I also startled as you
just don't hear those big 18 wheelers come up on you until they are right
next to you.  My first thought was, oh crap that is way too close no wonder
we are jumping.  The same goes for bicycles coming up from behind you,
wheelchairs, and a host of other things.  My Misha is great now around
anything like this and we could probably work a 20 lane highway without any
problems...okay, she could, I couldn't!

As far as the barking and agression issues, get them to observe this, don't
settle for them asking you what is happening, the who's what's where's etc.
just have them observe and thoroughly assess this in those environments this
behavior has occurred.

Honestly, they have to be observing something that just isn't quite right.
Call the question, ask them, what are they seeing, ask them if it is
something you are doing, do you need an offset handle, something, just talk
with them and get answers and don't settle for I don't know.

Steve & Misha