[nagdu] The Requirement of a Harness

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Fri Oct 30 15:34:35 UTC 2009

Albert,

As an owner-trainer, I had to take Mitzi into public places as part of her
socialization, and I started that long before it was time to think of a
harness for her.  Now that she is fully trained, I'm still surprised by how
many times I do find myself popping in someplace with her out of harness
because I've taken it off in the car or because I'm out for a walk with her.
Or even so that I can focus on some specific aspect of obedience and
etiquette when she is not busy guiding.  She's young enough and high-energy
enough that sometimes we just need to concentrate on heavy positive
reinforcement of the manners side of her job.  /smile/  She also leash
guides and makes my travel through stores much easier.  This allows me to
practice various aspects of my cane skills and technique, although I have
discovered that she gives me so many signals even when she's on heel that I
can't find my way out of a paper bag when I'm using the cane while she's at
the groomer.  /smile/  I have been diligently threatening to go out and do
some good old O&M work to correct this for a month or so now...  Then I
realize that if for some reason I do have to return to cane travel on a
regular basis, I will undoubtedly remember those orientation skills after a
very short time of being lost and frustrated.

Tami Smith-Kinney