[nagdu] The Requirement of a Harness

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Fri Oct 30 16:01:20 UTC 2009

Albert,

Yeah, the first few times you get the weird challenges, it's tough to know
how to respond.  Every time I think I've got it figured out, some new and
weirder one comes flying out of left field...  The same is true of some of
the questions I get from people who clearly think they're just being polite.
That's harder for me, because I can't get my attitude and snoot going.
Well, I could, but it wouldn't be appropriate.  So there I am, politely
smiling and saying, "Uh..." /smile/

I can't remember if I've been asked directly to prove I'm blind, but I've
been informed quire firmly that I see just fine, so what do I need a guide
dog for, since I'm not really blind.  I tried a couple of times to come up
with a coherent answer to that one, but decided to just laugh it off like
they made a good joke and I'm playing along with it.  I toss off information
casually during the process, of course.  A few people have pushed it some,
which irritates me to no end, so I do my best to answer the issue then get
on with my life.  Why is it that at these times I am so sorely tempted to
haul out my just-in-case cane and wave it in their face?  Rhetorical
question there.

Anyway, learning how to deal with all that new and often disruptive -- or
worse -- behavior from others does take some getting used to, and we all
have to find ways of dealing with it.  I seem to have more success using
humor, so that's most often where I go.  I was still getting used to it as a
cane traveler when I added a curly pup to the act, which kept things
challenging.  Would so hate to get bored there. /grin/

Tami Smith-Kinney