[nagdu] Retirement and Dog Sitter Access

Nicole B. Torcolini ntorcolini at wavecable.com
Wed Sep 2 03:19:32 UTC 2009

All of this discussion about access with our dogs makes me think of a new
question.  I know that the puppy raisers can take the dogs anywhere, but
what is the policy and what do people think about during retirement and when
someone is dog sitting?  I raise this question because I feel that our dogs
come to need people more than the average dog.  Yes, when leaving your dog
with someone, you should find someone who is home enough.  Same goes for
retirement.  But what if that one person who would be perfect to take the
dog, say one of your old teachers or your parents or someone else, has a job
that, although not necessarily allowing dogs, it would not be a problem for
them to take the dog with them if it were allowed?  I certainly would not
expect a dog sitter or an owner to have all of the access rights
(restaurants, stores, etc), but I would expect at least some, such as work
and hotels.  Just food for thought.  Please excuse me if this is getting off
topic.

Nicole