[nagdu] Clicker Treats RE: dog corrections

The Pawpower Pack pawpower4me at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 11:55:43 UTC 2009

Nicole,

I don't understand why you were discouraged from using clicker
training around other dogs.
If another dog becomes distracted when I am clicking and reinforcing
my dog, or if my dog becomes distracted while another handler is doing
the same; that is a training issue which needs to be address by the
handler of the dog becoming distracted.
Saying that we shouldn't clicker train our dog around another dog
other than ours is like saying that we shouldn't eat around dogs, or
do other things that a dog might find distracting.  In blunt terms,
it's not the problem of the clicker trainer if another dog becomes
distracted, it is the problem of the other dog's handler.

I use a pretty high rate of reinforcement at conventions where there
are lots of guide dogs because it helps my dog not stress out so
much.  It also helps keep the food going in, and as a very thin
Doberman who burns through food very fast, this is necessary for her
to have.

I also use clicker training at dog events, in dog training classes
where all dogs may or may not be using a clicker and food.

Rox and the Kitchen Bitches:
Bristol (retired), Mill'E SD. and Laveau Guide dog, CGC.
"We could never learn to be brave and patient, if there were only joy
in the world." --Helen Keller
Pawpower4Me at gmail.com
MSN only: Brisomania at hotmail.com
AIM, Brissysgirl Yahoo, lillebriss