[nagdu] a question stemming from a hot debate

Charlene Ota caota at hawaii.rr.com
Tue Sep 15 05:06:58 UTC 2009

Hi, Chasity, my first thought about your friend was that he must be really
insecure! Dogs are just friendly toward humans, for goodness sake! There's
usually a big difference between the guide dog user and friends to the dog,
the dog usually has one main person, the dog handler in their life and they
just like to be friendly with other family and friends, too. The dogs need
some down time to relax  and interact with other people, too. It's probably
not a bad idea to actually leave the dog with someone you trust for a few
hours once in a while just so they're used to being left and don't get
anxiety.

It's kind of funny, my black lab Irish is as friends have labeled him, a
Mama's Boy, he doesn't interact much with other people. When people come to
our house he greets them and comes and sits on my feet. Sometimes, I think
people are a bit disappointed that he doesn't want to interact with them
more. He'll play a little and he's happy to get petted, but he'll stick
fairly close to me. I just added this because sometimes it's the dog's
choice not to be really interactive with other people, too. My other dogs
have been far more friendly to my friends and family than Irish has been.

Charlene