[nagdu] a question stemming from a hot debate

Joy Relton jrelton at verizon.net
Tue Sep 15 18:52:38 UTC 2009

Hi Gary and Julie,

Gary, a lot of what Julie said is the way that I experienced it. My dog was
a major part of my life before I met my husband so we came as a package. He
still laughs when he tells how Zenith would come up and stick himself
between us if we sat on the couch. Julie is right, especially at first, you
should be the primary person to care for groom, feed, walk and so on the
dog. That of course doesn't mean that your girl friend should not  have any
part to play in the dog's life. The tape, letter and instruction from the
Seeing Eye is very much on target with respect to how to interact with the
dog. That is, be calm and take it easy. It's funny that Julie found the her
first one harder. My third dog was the hardest, partly because he wasn't as
lovey  dovey as the others, and partly because my retired dog was still at
home and I hadn't had the full grieving. In large part, though it was just
getting to know that dog as an individual. It's hard not to have
expectations for a dog. When you pick up that harness for the first time,
it's just a hello and you haven't really gotten acquainted. It's just like
meeting someone for the first time. You like them, or you think you do, but
some people take longer to get to know. The hardest thing for me was
remembering that it wasn't the previous dog in that harness so he/she
wouldn't do what the other dog did and wouldn't know what I expected until I
taught him/her. Also, each dog will teach you something new. Often, about
yourself. Enjoy the time and talk through any concerns with your girl friend
and with the school if needed. You'll work it out.