[nagdu] a question stemming from a hot debate

Linda Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Tue Sep 15 22:30:30 UTC 2009

Hi Chasity,
I think the answer to this varies with each dog in question.  I personally
let people interact with my dog - Landon is a certified Therapy Dog for two
different programs as well as my guide. Also my friends and family do
interact with him.

Some of the problems I have seen are:
1) a friend's guide dog did bond to her husband more than it bonded to her.
The dog saw the owner as "the bad guy" and the husband as the "good guy".
The husband took the dog for walks with the woman's retired guide.  Why this
happened, I don't know - it just did.

2) another friend's guide became attached to my friend's daughter.  When the
daughter came aroound, this dog went out of control - even in harness - and
my friend couldn't break the dog of this.

3) I had a dog who would distract to people so much that I couldn't even let
people interact with it at all - even out of harness.

So, I think the degree of interaction and your dog's personality should
guide what you choose to do as far as interaction with your dog goes.

These incidences I outlined above are more the exception than the rule in
all my years of having guide dogs or being around other people's guide dogs.
But, I think that there is such thing as too much interaction by family and
friends.  Our dogs are NOT pets and many family members and friends forget
this fact and treat the dog EXACTLY like they do their own pets.  The
friends and family don't correct the dog, WE do!  Just like kids who like
the favorite grandma because she lets them do the stuff you don't allow them
to do!!

Landon and I are about to fly to Vermont for a visit.  Take care, all.

Linda and Landon