[nagdu] convention 2010 ???

The Pawpower Pack pawpower4me at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 00:04:28 UTC 2009

One of the reasons I'll go back to ACB conventions is that they
provide interpreters for Deafblind attendees.  This last year, I went
to workshops, meetings and the exhibit hall and had interpreters with
me upon my request.

Both myself and other Deafblind people have tried unsuccessfully to
get these same accommodations from NFB and have not been successful.
I went to one convention where I tried to speak with a member of the
Deafblind group (who was hearing) so I could address these issues.
She did not sign and there were no other interpreters present at the
boot the facilitate communication.

Honestly, I'd like to go to an NFB convention because I am interested
in what they have to say.  I am a member of NAGDU and not GDUI because
in my experience NAGDU cares more about including their Deafblind
members.  I'm just not sure if the NFB as a hole does.

I can't go to my local meetings because of the same issues of lack of
communication and total disinterest in leadership in helping me
address these issues.

Sometimes the reasons one might choose to attend the other convention
is because they have other needs which can be better met there,
unfortunately.

Rox and the Kitchen Bitches
Bristol (retired), Mill'E SD. and Laveau Guide Dog, CGC.
"Struggle is a never ending process. Freedom is never really won, you
earn it and win it in every generation."
-- Coretta Scott King
pawpower4me at gmail.com

Windows Live Only: Brisomania at hotmail.com
AIM: Brissysgirl Yahoo: lillebriss