[nagdu] convention 2010 ???

sam sam at tcq.net
Wed Sep 23 02:20:25 UTC 2009

Thank you Julie,

I couldn't have said it better myself.  I do not belong to either
group.  But if the bashing keeps going on, I will probably
unsubscribe from this list, as it serves no learning purpose.
Thanks again for your comments, well thought out.

Regards,

Sam

Users" <nagdu at nfbnet.org
>Date sent: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 17:33:57 -0500
>Subject: Re: [nagdu] convention 2010 ???

>Sharonda,

>Yes, exactly.  And in the recent past the ACB and NFB have worked
>cooperatively on at least one project that I can think of off the
top of my
>head, that being access to electronic text that is already
available
>commercially.

>Putting down the ACB is only going to serve to push us further
apart.   I
>like the approach of starting with the things we have in common.
I know
>there are lots of things we do agree on.  Why can't we work
together on
>those projects?  Perhaps as some of the animosity heals we will
be able to
>work on more and more projects together.

>We talk about the power of collective action, but it seems to me
that we are
>deliberately and willfully cutting out a lot of folks who could
lend a lot
>of  power to that collective.  I understand that perhaps they
don't have the
>same understanding about blindness that the NFB does, but does
anyone start
>out with a complete understanding of what blindness means.
Hasn't the NFB's
>stance on things changed over the years?  Hasn't each and every
person
>within the NFB grown and changed because of the experience?
Does everyone
>within the NFB agree on anything?

>I don't see attending an ACB convention as a waste of money.  I
see it as an
>opportunity to learn.  It will challenge me to think in new ways
about
>things I may not have considered before.  I feel that I'm
strongly rooted in
>the core beliefs of the NFB.  At this time, I have no desire to
join the
>ACB.  But how can I really truly know if I don't have any first
hand
>experience to draw from?

>JMHO
>Julie

Users"
><nagdu at nfbnet.org
>Sent: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 4:08 PM
>Subject: Re: [nagdu] convention 2010 ???

>> Marion,
>> As I re-read my email, I never said that we are working on the
same
>> things.
>> However, I did say that we should work together.  Do we right
now? No.  But
>> the less devisiveness there is, we can get more accomplished.

>> I'm not here to argue with you, so I'm done with this
conversation.  And
>> no,
>> I am not aspiring to be an ACB-er.  But unity helps more things
get done.  I
>> submit this respectfully to you and all who read.

>> On 9/22/09, Marion & Martin <swampfox1833 at verizon.net> wrote:

>>> Sharonda,
>>>   It always sounds good when people say "we ought to work
together" or
>>> "We
>>> are all working for the same thing!" The truth of the matter is
that the
>>> NFB
>>> and the ACB are not working for the same thing, as evidenced by
the
>>> article
>>> I sent written by the former ACB President.  Sure, it would be
nice if we
>>> would all work together, but the truth is that we are not all
working for
>>> the same thing.  If we were, there wouldn't be an ACB!
>>>   The Council was formed by the American Foundation for the
Blind and
>>> other
>>> affiliated agencies to give credence to the agency philosophy of
>>> dependency
>>> and to give their blind Uncle Toms a mouthpiece.  The ACB still
sides with
>>> the agencies, is supportive of NAC, and works diligently to
contradict
>>> anything the NFB does.  They tried to nix the Louis Braille
Commemorative
>>> Coin, they fought against funding for Newsline, and they say the
NFB is
>>> anti
>>> guide dog, to name a few.  If we are all working for the same
thing, why
>>> did
>>> they choose to do these things? I, for one, will not compromise
my
>>> integrity
>>> in order to work with someone or some group that contradicts my
basic
>>> philosophy.  I am of the opinion that, if the ACB wants to work
with the
>>> NFB,
>>> come join us! Otherwise, get out of the way!

>>> Fraternally yours,
>>> Marion Gwizdala

>>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Sharonda Greenlaw" <
>>> sbgreenlaw at gmail.com