[nagdu] Minneapolis woman cited for kicking seeing-eye dog

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Mon Sep 28 13:35:59 UTC 2009

Marion,

What sort of protections are you referring to?  Here in Minnesota, as I recall, access to public accommodations is guaranteed for dog guid users with our white cane
legislation passed over thirty-five years ago.  I believe some additional legislation was passed within the past decade as well that may have been more general in
nature.  There has also been a good deal of publicity within the past five years here that arose from certain taxi drivers being unwilling to take passengers who use
dogs, particularly when being picked up at our airport, and our airport commission and local governments were very supportive.  I don't think this incident arose from
a lack of general awareness and at this point we don't even know what the individual's motive was.  However, this is clearly not acceptable.