[nagdu] dog adaptability and expectations

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Thu Apr 1 05:34:14 UTC 2010

Martha,

Awesome!  I did the rural to city thing myself, sans good O&M training.  I
had some, but it was all about walking around the block, which I knew how to
do, and not about traveling in the context of my reali life, which I had
been doing without their teacing me to walk about the block....  /lol/ So my
realife city travel as a blind woman with a cane, then with a guide dog, was
quite the adventure!

Our state VR is a little, er, wiggy, so I never worked out the details to
get to an NFB center when I had the time and needed it.  I had lived in
cities before, driving and walking as a sighted woman, but learning to do it
all again with the cane and the dog and the constant where the heck am I did
get exhausting at times.

I'm glad you're getting to go, and I really hope they help you with
accommodating Dee while you're there so that you and she (?) can continue to
grow in your work and your bond.  When you first asked, I didn't realize you
were an experienced handler already.  That should go a long way in your
helping Dee with the transitions.

Then, grad school!  /smile/  I have a couple of friends who are either or
major or minor undergrad SoAs, so I'm getting lots of vicarious education
from them and even getting to read some of their papers...  How's that for
getting an education without the bother of going to school?  /grin/  I think
it's great that you're going to grad school to continue your study.  If you
want to send papers and theses...  Kidding!

Oh.  I live in Portland, Oregon, and I am currently working a 4-year-old
owner-trained poodle guide named Mitzi.  She's a country turned city girl,
too, and we have had a whole lot of adventure in the big city together!
She's also great on trails and hikes and the like.  You know how we country
girls are.  ?grin/

Tami Smith-Kinney