[nagdu] Blind Inc.

Marion Gwizdala blind411 at verizon.net
Fri Apr 2 12:03:20 UTC 2010

Jewel,
    If you are going to attend a center, I think it would be best if you did
so before getting your guide dog. Their very intensive O&M training will
make you a superior guide dog handler. If you choose to go after getting
your guide dog, I would suggest you do so well after you and your dog have
bonded. During the day, you will be using your white cane. You will be able
to see your guide dog during breaks and for relief, as well as before and
after training.
    Just for the record, there are those who will try to spin this policy to
be an "anti guide dog" policy; however, I am of the opinion, from talking to
and listening to what they believe and how each of the centers approach this
issue, that it is not anti guide dog, rather it is pro sound O&M training. I
am of the opinion that, like the general public, many blind people see a
guide dog as the answer to their O&M problems, rather than as an enhancement
to them. Both the white cane and guide dog have their advantages and
disadvantages. Without the flexibility to choose the one that works best for
a particular application, a blind person limits their independence and their
ability to participate in all aspects of society and life! A carpenter
learns how to use a hammer, but cannot build a house with just one tool! In
order for us to live fully, we must have several blindness tools in our tool
box. Of course, if one is comfortable with limiting their choices, that is
their prerogative. My choice is to live fully and vibrantly. Sometimes my
guide dog is not a part of this choice. JMHO!

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala