[nagdu] Blind Inc.

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Fri Apr 2 21:34:29 UTC 2010

Those of us who are active in the Federation try to make it clear that what we know is blindness.  There are two aspects to what you have written below.  The first is
that having one disability does not make any of us experts in all disabilities and we have to be careful not to make assumptions.  Beause we say "blind" in a lot of
our litterature, you are taking that to mean that we are applying everything we say to anyone who has blindness as one of their disabilities.  I just do not believe that
is the true intent at all.

On the other hand, there is no absolute line that suddenly makes a person "multipally disabled."  There are obvious circumstances, but not a line one suddenly
crosses.  Some of us who have been around a while remember when sheltered workshops labeled people with very minor secondary disabilities as having "multiple
handicaps" to make it easier to certify them as being payed less than the minimum wage.  I have also seen persons in wheelchairs at BLIND Incorporated learn to
use a cane and travel more independently than they ever had before when it was not yet fashionable to do that.  While there has to be recognition of multiple
disabilities introducing challenges that certainly people such as myself don't understand, there is also something to be gained to not just write people off because
they happen to have disabilities in addition to blindness.  We as blind people have been held back partly because of the low expectations people have of us and
because we are part of society, we often share those same expectations.  Part of what we do for each other in the Federation is to raise our expectations about our
selves by looking at what others do.  Again, speaking only of blindness, seeing another blind person become a lawyer makes me feel I can do more, but that doesn't
mean I will be a lawyer.  What I become is based on my abilities, my expectations, and my circumstances, not to mention a little luck.  Therefore, even within
blindness, what we are trying to do is to have goals to shoot for, not uniform expectations.  If there is a single expectation, it is that we try to make the most of the
abilities we have.  I would be a little down on a person who goes everywhere he wants to by making his child or spouse take him because he just doesn't see ay
need to learn to use a cane or dog.  He has the right to make that choice, but I don't have to pat him on the back for it.  Howevr, someone who needs a personal
aid because of other disabilities to get places but does it when it would be easier not to deserves  and gets my respect.

Too often, positions are defined in such a way that people can write them off without having to think about them.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson