[nagdu] 2010 Transportation Bill: Supporting Biking and Walking Petition

Jewel S. herekittykat2 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 2 21:57:34 UTC 2010

I found this webiste called "WalkScore" which gives a "walkscore" for
your neighbourhood, based on how close public transportation and
amenities are to your home. On this site, there is a petition calling
for Congress to support biking and walking, as well as public
transportation, more. Did you know that 85% of the approximately $60
billion dollars that Congress spends on transportation each year goes
toward expanding and maintaining highways? Only about 15% goes toward
public transportation and toward supporting walking and biking.

If you want to sign the petition to urge Congress to include more for
walkers and bikers in the 2010 Transportation Bill (a once-in-a-decade
bill), go to <http://www.walkscore.com> and go down to the section
about the 2010 Transportation Bill. It has the full text of the
petition, and you can sign it merely by providing your informtation.

I think as guide dog users, everyone here knows the importance of
making neighbourhoods and cities more walkable, so I don't think I
need to go into that spill, do I? Blind people, whether cane users or
guide dog handlers, would benefit greatly from better public
transportation, better sidewalks, easier routes to grocery stores and
other businesses, and safer places to walk. I urge all of you to add
your name to the list of people who support this petition, in the hope
that Congress hears our voices!

~Jewel