[nagdu] cane skills as prerequisite for guide dog

Michelle m-johnson at bigpond.com
Sat Apr 3 09:59:41 UTC 2010

Hi Albert,

I agree with you in part. What I'd like to say to you is that cane skills
are necessary because it's better to get around with one than nothing at all
before getting a dog. I understand guide dogs are obviously better as a
mobility aid, I have one myself! (big smile) I don't understand why some
schools of thought hold to not having to use a cane as a kid or a toddler.
Maybe it depends on the situation? I don't know. But I guess the instructors
want to know that you've got a good sense of direction so when you get a
dog, you'll know that you can direct the dog appropriately most of the time,
and at least the instructors will feel safe about your travelling
adventures.

I hope this helps,

Michelle