[nagdu] another road to independence

Julie J julielj at windstream.net
Sat Apr 3 13:13:41 UTC 2010

Rox'e,

thank you for saying this!

I used to be  firmly in the camp that using a guide is a choice.  I used to
think that a guide dog enhanced mobility, but is not a necessity.   I used
to feel like a guide dog was like a luxury mobility tool.

I'm not so sure anymore.  As I age my physical abilities are changing.  I
have arthritis and although it has been a part of my life for years, it has
only recently started to make a substantial difference in how I am able to
do things.  It is much worse through the winter.  Several years ago it
really only limited my ability to stir cookie dough and scoop hard ice
cream.  By a year ago it had gotten to the point where I couldn't hold onto
my cane for more than two blocks or so.  Last winter there were many days
that I would be in serious pain by the time I got to work, a ten block or so
walk.  Some days all I could manage was to sort of push the cane in front of
me and hope for the best.

This past winter was the worst we've had in twenty years.  If I didn't have
Monty, there is absolutely no way I would have been able to use my cane
through the heavy snow to get to work.  I would have been dependent on
others to drive me there.   There is no public transportation where I live.

I'm sure if I didn't have Monty, I would have hired a driver or worked out
something.  However my measure of being independent is being able to do what
I want, when I want with minimal inconvenience to others.   I don't think I
would be very independent if I didn't have Monty.

JMHO
Julie