[nagdu] length of training

Julie J julielj at windstream.net
Sat Apr 10 02:25:16 UTC 2010

Doug,

Thanks for sharing your perspective on the length of training.

As for owner trainers and a niche...I do have an idea. It would be such a
relief to start with a dog that has all basic training, is vet checked, has
the necessary temperament, a personality that compliments the handler  and
is ready to start in on guide training.   I went through a company that
offered this before I got Monty.  Unfortunately they were horrible to work
with, didn't find a dog for me, didn't refund my money as stated in the
contract and mysteriously went out of business. So ummm, yeah that wasn't
really what I had in mind.

So ummm...a reputable place to get a dog ready to be trained in guide work
or really any type of advanced skills would be excellent.  It would also be
nice to have phone training support.  A book of some sort on a step-by-step
manual on how to train specific tasks would be helpful.  I'm thinking
something similar to the Top Dog books available for mobility types of
disabilities.

If you could find donors to support some of the costs, being able to travel
to an owner trainer and work with them in person would be ideal.   I know
there were a few times during Monty's training that I could have really used
someone else's opinion or assistance.   Distractions and traffic come to
mind.  But there is no way that most people could afford a trainer to come
to their home for a consultation, donors would be essential.

I've tossed out the idea of having a sort of retreat/convention/whatever for
owner trainers.  Something where we could travel to some centralized
location for a long weekend.  There would be seminars on all sorts of
topics, nutrition, self advocacy, training, choosing a dog and all sorts of
fun things to do. Again cost is prohibitive, but I still daydream. *smile*

And then there is the option of privately training guide dogs.

I'd be very interested in whatever you come up with.
Julie