[nagdu] owner training

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Sun Apr 11 22:07:53 UTC 2010

Jessica,

I apologize for not getting back to you directly for so long about your
questions.  I was working on my own reply along the lines of what both Rox
and Julie said, but I got overly long-winded and it was late, so I was
stupid... /smile/  Also, I can usually be pretty confident that the both of
them will answer questions about owner-trainer very well while I'm still
trying to figure out what to say.  /grin/

Anyway, by now you've gotten some great information about the dog selection
part and some of idea of what your life will be like once you do find that
elusive right dog.  If you think that all sounds absolutely dreaful, it
might be time for you to reconsider owner-trainer.  If you found yourself
thinking that you just can't wait to get to all the hard work and
frustration and exhaustion and more, then owner-training could be for you!
/smile/  The most telling key trait of the successful owner-trainers I know
is that they *love* it.  They don't fall into bed dead asleep at night to
dream dog training then drag their still weary bodies out the next morning
to start it all again because of their dedication to duty and diligence.
They do it because they can't wait to get going again for another day,
because they just are enjoying the process, even the parts that make strong
men go pale.  /smile/

  I will add that it really helps to inform yourself to the nth degree about
the ins and outs of temperament testing, temperament requirements for guide
dogs, given the nature of their work, etc., etc.  I have my list of internet
resources buried deep somewhere in the bowels of my computer archives, but
there is a lot of new stuff coming out all the time that you should be able
to find easily.  Same with books, and honestly I've been reading books about
dogs and animals for so many years, I think I started doing my study before
I could actually read the books myself.  /smile/  If you want to get some
good ideas about books to read on the subject, this list is a good place to
ask!  I don't have a current reading list myself, I'm afraid, but as I get
more reading worked back into my life, I will be asking those questions
myself.

Another resource is the vi-clicker-training list,
vi-clicker-trainers at freelists.org.  Ann Edie is the list owner, I believe.
I'm afraid I've been lax about keeping up there, but she can tell you more
about it.

As for equipment:  Pawpower Creations, of course!  Julie started the harness
making business a few years ago as On-The-Go, and everything I have for
Mitzi is from her.  Great gear!  Rox and her husband have since taken on the
harness making, so my new purchases will be from Pawpower.  The harnesses
are not only very good but very affordable, and Pawpower is good to work
with.

I still have odds and ends floating around from Mitzi's pre-harness days,
and if you want to discuss more about pre-harness training, I will be happy
to tell you what I did and used.  Usually that depends on what you find in
your area that you can afford and still feed the dog.  /smile/

Anyway, that's all I can think of right now that might be helpful.

I am interested to know what you learn and what you decide about
owner-training.

Tami Smith-Kinney