[nagdu] Hiking on trails with guide dogs and bears

Steve Johnson stevencjohnson at centurytel.net
Sun Apr 11 22:46:49 UTC 2010

The important thing to remember here is that we are probably talking black
bears here.  Depending on what part of the country you are from, this is a
challenging time of year as they are very hungry and will look for food most
anywhere as most plants are not quite up yet, and scavenging to feed their
appetite is common.  Black bears will also have their cubs nearby this time
of year, and this is the first rule of thumb is you know that there cubs
around...turn around.  Many times, where there are bears, there may also be
cougars.  Wearing bells is also helpful as they can hear the sound at a much
greater distance as you don't want to have to use any type of pepper spray
because at that point you are way too close.  Black bears can also climb
trees very fast and can reach upwards of 35 mph or greater on the ground.
It is very difficult to outrun a bear.  The good thing though is that most
black bears are just afraid of you as you are of them.

You will know if there are ears in the area as they will tend to scratch the
trees with their paws about 7-8 feet up or higher raking the bark off and
marking their territory.  If you see this, and if you have someone who has
sight with you, just be watchful like any good hiker would.

Most of all though, have fun.

Steve & Misha who looks like a little bear cub, and yes, I am an avid
hunter.