[nagdu] why do we have to let airlines know that you have a dog

Marion Gwizdala blind411 at verizon.net
Wed Apr 14 01:43:24 UTC 2010

Cheryl,
    I am of the opinion that giving advance notice of the presence of our
guide dogs only opens us up to discrimination, as it sends a signal to those
who provide public accommodations that we need some sort of special
assistance or aid. Not knowing what this might be, their employees generally
will assume that we want or need something that we do not.
    The presence of a guide or other service animal is irrelevant. They
cannot discriminate against us because of our choice to use a guide dog nor
require us to accept and aid or accommodation we choose to not accept. If I
were not previously engaged by a student, I would have been on the call. Who
said that we must give advance notice and what are their reasons for saying
so? I would like to get in touch with GDF as a concerned consumer and ask
them to provide accurate information to their graduates, of which I am one!

fraternally yours,
Marion