[nagdu] why do we have to let airlines know that you have a dog

cheryl echevarria cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 14 14:25:52 UTC 2010

>From the FAA.gov

D. Service Animals1
A service animal is (i) an animal individually trained and which performs
functions to assist a person with a disability; (ii) an animal that has been
shown to have the innate ability to assist a person with a disability, e.g.,
a seizure alert animal; or (iii) an emotional support animal.  You should be
aware that there are many different types of service animals that perform a
range of tasks for individuals with a disability.

Service Animal Permitted to Accompany Passenger on Flight and at Seat
Assignment
You must permit dogs and other service animals used by passengers with a
disability to accompany the passengers on their flights.  In addition, you
must permit a dog or other service animal to accompany a passenger with a
disability to the passenger's assigned seat and remain there as long as the
animal does not obstruct the aisle or other areas that must remain
unobstructed for safety reasons.  [Sec. 382.55(a)]  The service animal must
be allowed to accompany the passenger unless it poses a direct threat to the
health or safety of others or presents a significant threat of disruption to
the airline service in the cabin.  See also Appendix VI, DOT Guidance
Concerning Service Animals in Air Transportation; FAA Flight Standards
Information Bulletin for Air Transportation (FSAT) #04-01A, "Location and
Placement of Service Animals on Aircraft Engaged in Public Air
Transportation" http://www.faa.gov/avr/afs/fsat/fsatl.htm

Cheryl Echevarria
Independent Travel Consultant
C10-10646