[nagdu] why do we have to let airlines know that you have a dog

David Baker david at bakerinet.com
Wed Apr 14 19:28:12 UTC 2010

Well, I guess I have to weigh in on this discussion.  While I have never
traveled with a guide dog, I do have a good friend who just retired after more
than 30 years as a flight attendant at Delta.  She said that Delta attendants
are trained to be welcoming to service animals and that she found this to be the
case on every flight that she was on where there was a service animal.  She did
say that the new electronics, especially on the larger and newer planes, were
being put under seats and that this severely restricted the room underneath the
seats on planes where you might expect to have more, rather than less, room.
She said that guide dogs, regardless of size might not be able to fit under
these seats and that bulkhead seats might be the only area where a guide dog
could fit comfortably on these planes, despite the risks from  turbulence.

She said the only problem she ever encountered was on an international flight
with a cadaver sniffing dog from Switzerland that became very agitated.  It
turned out that the dog, located in the rear next to the galley,  was fighting
diarrhea and its urges conflicted with its training.  After its handler calmed
it down and it let loose, they used some type of haz-mat gel to pick up the mess
which had, unfortunately, 'perfumed' the entire plane.

Personally, I'd be glad to share floor space with a guide dog.  If only to help
keep my feet warm.

David