[nagdu] list safety

Albert J Rizzi albert at myblindspot.org
Thu Apr 15 12:09:24 UTC 2010

Netiquette! I like that one so much!

Albert J. Rizzi, M.Ed.
CEO/Founder
My Blind Spot, Inc.
90 Broad Street - 18th Fl.
New York, New York  10004
www.myblindspot.org
PH: 917-553-0347
Fax: 212-858-5759
doing it."

Visit us on Facebook LinkedIn

-----Original Message-----
From: nagdu-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:nagdu-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf
Of Julie J
Sent: Thursday, April 15, 2010 7:57 AM
To: NAGDU Mailing List,the National Association of Guide Dog Users
Subject: [nagdu] list safety

Hello all!

Recently there have been  messages with suspicious links in them.  A few
weeks ago there was the issue with spoof email.  So I thought I'd take a
moment to make some suggestions.

Minimize sending and opening attachments.  Never open an attachment that you
have no idea what it is or who sent it.    FYI I only extremely rarely open
attachments sent to lists.

The NAGDU list does allow attachments.  I ask that you announce the
attachment in the body of the message and explain what is in it.

Keep your anti virus, spyware, firewall etc software up to date.  That still
doesn't guarantee 100% safety, but it goes a long, long way.  The local
computer repair store charges $100 to remove viruses.  I just spent about
that  amount for three years of anti virus protection for my son's computer.
You do the math.

Do not open links sent in email from people you don't know.
Generally people introduce themselves if they are new to the list.  If you
don't know who the sender is and the message came from the NAGDU list, ask.

Use caution with email that has strange subject lines or no subject.
Please use subject lines when sending messages to the NAGDU list.  More
people will know what your talking about, feel better about opening the
message and it's just good netiquette.

If the only thing in an email is a link, use extreme caution.
I extremely rarely open these.  Again if you're sending a link to the list,
please let us know what it is.

If the link looks odd, don't open it.  Generally speaking links will be a
business name or short description of the type of service, followed by .com
.net .org .biz .edu or .gov   Sometimes there is a two letter extension that
indicates the country.  Use extreme caution if you don't recognize it!

HTH
Julie
NAGDU list moderator