[nagdu] My Other Question: Working with a Guide Dog When You Have Mibility Impairments

Jewel S. herekittykat2 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 15 22:18:35 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I am in the process of getting a guide dog (I applied to the Seeing
Eye, but am reconsidering now). I would love to hear from people about
how having a mobility impairment affects their work with a guide dog,
and how it might be different from otherwise.

I would especially like to know about working with a guide dog from a
wheelchair. I know it's possible, but how does it work, and is it a
viable option? I might be a part-time wheelchair user in the
not-so-far future, and I am not sure about working with a guide dog
from a wheelchair during those times.

Also, what about guide dogs who also act as assistance for balance
issues (I lose my balance very easily), and who are trained for other
tasks, like pulling laundry hampers (I know someone mentioned their
dog helping with the laundry that way). If assistance is needed both
in and out of the home, would it necessary to have two service
animals, or would one dog be able to do the work, as long as it's not
too much?

Does anyone have any suggested reading on the topic (websites, books,
articles, etc)? With my condition worsening, I am in new territory,
and can use all the tips and pointers I can get.

Thanks and can't wait to hear from you guys,
Jewel