[nagdu] problems with new dog

Susan Jones sblanjones11 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 19 23:13:52 UTC 2010

Cheryl,
This is what I would do, and what I have heard trainers suggest.

1.  Until you can get her behavior under control, back off of the freedom.
Keep her with you on leash as much as possible, and crate her or put her on
tie-down when you need to be doing other things.
That way, you can catch her when she starts getting into something, and
avoid trouble.
Give her a treat when she respons to your NO! and pays attention to you.

2.  Get a couple of friends to help you, who are not shy about giving knee
to chest.
Have them approach her and when she starts to jump, nip it in the bud.

Work with her until she can greet an approaching person with all four feet
on the ground, and calmly.

I sort of liken this to how you would teach your dog not to drink out of the
toilet by slamming the lid down in his presence.  Then it doesn't look like
it would be so attractive any longer.

I hope these ideas help, and do, please, keep in touch with Seeing Eye; they
may have other suggestions.
Some of our clicker trainer friends, I'm sure, will be able to suggest
positive ways to reinforce good manners.

Regards,
Susan & Rhoda