[nagdu] clicker training

Angie Giltinan rox0805 at verizon.net
Thu Apr 22 12:38:02 UTC 2010

My name is Angie, and I have a yellow lab from GEB.  We were one of the
first teams to be trained to use the clicker, and I do like using it.  but
after doing a bunch of reading, it seems that it's important to click
exactly when the dog does the desired behavior, not to late, or to soon.
My question for all you clicker users out there who are blind, how do you
know when your dog does the behavior, for example, I want my dog to go to
her place, I can get an idea when she's on the mat, but i can't know for
sure, unless I have her on a leash, and am farely close to her and the mat.
The books say, click when she puts a paw on the mat, I certainly can't tell
that very well, so i'd apreciate any thoughts about this.
Thanks much
Essence And Angie
P.S. even my cat is getting in to the clicker action! though he is a
glutten, so anything that involves food, he's there!!