[nagdu] Please help!!!!

Linda Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Fri Apr 23 17:17:26 UTC 2010

Cheryl O,
Sounds like your dog has lost the privilege of being free in the house.
You'll have to "puppy proof" your home like a mother of toddlers have to do
to keep their kid safe.

This is why the schools advise us to keep our new dogs on tie down or with
us on leash and no freedom in the house at first.  they advise, after 2
weeks, to slowly add a bit of freedom and increase the freedom as the dog
learns to handle that and leaves things alone.  It is better to avoid the
dog starting the habit of chewing up stuff than it is to break the habit
once it forms. Your dog clearly hasn't learned to stay away from stuff that
isn't her's. So, back to basics! (grin!)

Keep her on tie down when you can't watch her and keep her on leash with you
when you can do that.  Maybe she'll learn that leaving stuff alone will get
her freedom back again. These dogs are smart and can learn to figure cause
and effect.  Chew stuff and she's tied up.  Leave stuff alone, and she has
freedom.  Keep stuff put away as well.  I know it's a royal pain to do this
but it will protect your belongings and your own wallet (from vet bills).

Good luck.

Lyn and Landon