[nagdu] Matching

Jewel S. herekittykat2 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 23 19:03:38 UTC 2010

I don't like the idea of the people and dogs picking each other. If I
wanted to do that, couldn't I self-train? It reminds me of a spoof
article I read (I don't rememeber where I read it, but if anyone
recognizes it, could you remind me where it comes from?) The article
was a spoof about a pocket-guide dog. It said a school was training
pocket chihuahua and pocket poodles to be guide dogs. When you needed
the pup, you took him/her out of your pocket, and held him/her in your
palm. The dog would wiggle one way to show left and wiggle the other
to go right...it was quite silly. Why this reminds me of that spoof is
because in that article, the pups were let loose in a room with the
trainees and whomever the pup went to first would be that person's
pup.

I know that I would not be able to select the right dog for me. I need
a dog with enough strength to help me with balance and go to school
with me, but who is willing to spend a few days downtime with only
short walks or a visit to the dog park when I have an episode of being
unable to walk much. I also require a dog who would be able to
sometimes work with a wheelchair user, for the times when I use a
wheelchair. This combination isn't the easiest to find...one with
strength, but who can deal with downtime for a day or two at a time
(or even a week in the winter). As well, the dog would have to really
like cats (I have a cat, and sometimes volunteer at a cat shelter and
work with feral cats and special need cats). Further, the dog would
have to be okay with many types of transportation, such as subways,
taxis, trains, escalators and elevators, and of course the good-old
feet. Not all dogs can do trains and subways, for instance, and some
dogs get spooked by wheelchairs, manual or electric. A friendliness
with other dogs would of course be important, too, as I have several
friends with dogs and my boyfriend is one of them, and on the bad
days, the only exercise the dog might get is walks to have park time,
and a trip to the dog park.

This combination will take time to find, and I have been told it will
take longer than most matches. I know that if I were stuck in a room
with a bunch of dogs, it could be a possibility that none of them are
a match for me, and it could be possible that a bad match is made.

But for companion dogs (dogs for children with special needs that are
there for company and support), bonding and love is more important, so
I could see it working for that. I still wouldn't put all the dogs and
all the poeple in a room together...what if two people want the same
dog, for example?

Two cents for you all,
Jewel