[nagdu] was Matching, now Owner Training

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Wed Apr 28 23:37:58 UTC 2010

Katrin,

The approach you describe sounds very much like my own decision-making
process with Mitzi.  She was my first guide dog as well as my first trainee,
so dealing with those behaviors here and there that may or may not have been
deal breaker issues was more difficult and fraught than it would have been
had I had some "real" experience under my belt.

However, I did do a lot of pulling odds and ends out of my bag of tricks --
and running to others with more experience to see if they had some new
tricks for me.  /smile/

How I started viewing the issue for my own reference was by asking the
question:  Do I believe there is a training solution for this problem?  Or
is the behavior a symptom of a temperament issue that cannot be overcome by
training?

Answering those two questions took a whole lot of thinking and planning and
weighing in a couple of areas; however, the possible temperament issues
behind the behavior were usually ruled out by my observations of Mitzi's
behavior in other areas.  So that told me I needed to refine my training
solution or find a new one.  Or retire the dog because I couldn't figure it
out.  /smile/  I always considered this option in that sort of phrasing as
motivation when the going got tough.  When we started, I gave *her*
permission to fail and to let me know when it was time to call it quits.  I
did not give myself that same permission! /grin/

Tami Smith-Kinney