[nagdu] HOAs and service dogs

Lyn Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Tue Aug 3 16:26:26 UTC 2010

Hi All,
For all you ADA experts out there in NAGDUland, I have a question about rights of disabled people in training a dog to help with a phsyical disability.  She isn't blind.

I have a friend with Muscular Dystrophy and her disability is getting worse.  She wants to get a Standard Poodle to train as a service dog to help her in tasks like picking up dropped items, getting her husband if she falls, and the other normal service dog tasks.

Their HOA is insisting on her supplying them with all kinds of medical information, letters from doctors - all kinds of illegal demands.  And they said to them, "You don't look blind to me!"  They won't budge no matter what info or education they try to do with the HOA.  What can she do to fight the HOA on this?  Any ideas I can pass on to my friends?

Thanks,

Lyn and Landon