[nagdu] owner training and pulls

Julie J julielj at windstream.net
Wed Aug 4 20:15:26 UTC 2010

Okay it's official I'm losing my mind, I'm replying to myself! LOL

I wanted to add that I also like to owner train because I get to pick  the
dog.  While this is the toughest part of the process, it's also very
important to me.  Monty is a Boxer mix and  right now I can't imagine
working a nonBoxer dog.  I also like really big dogs, which aren't very
available through most of the programs.

In addition I have total, complete ownership from day 1.  All the gear is
mine too.  I also like the ability to choose everything about the care and
training of my dogs.  anything from the dog's name, what gear I use, what I
feed, what vaccinations to give, what training method I use and how I work
particular guiding situations is 100% up to me.  What sort of flexibility
you get with all of these points varies from program to program.

Oh and I also like training in my home environment.  I really don't have the
ability to go away by myself for even 2 weeks, let alone the usual 4.   Also
training here allows me to customize the training to what I need from day 1.
Just this past weekend Monty leash guided me through the draw next to the
corn field, down a dirt driveway and then through brush around the edge of
another cornfield.  All I have to direct him is the sound of the irrigation
motor in the distance.  It's quite different than I think most guides are
trained. *smile*

Julie