[nagdu] Disabled vet and service dog banned from supermarket

Bobbie bewitched56 at comcast.net
Tue Aug 10 22:55:27 UTC 2010

Lyn,
According to the article in the local paper, the dog was trained by a
school. I too have questions about this incident, simply because I have
shopped in this supermarket several times and never had a problem. The staff
have always been accommodating and courteous. I also wonder if the dog was
off leash, which if it was, is outrageous. There is also a six minute
interview with the handler in question online, in which she states that the
dog was on leash and that the dog only pooped once in the store, when she
brought the dog outside and the dog pooped again. There are a lot of
discrepancies in the handler's account and the store's account. This
troubles me simply because access has occasionally been a problem in our
area with me constantly having to educate the public. According to my
sighted friend who brought me the article, it was on the front page of the
newspaper with a photo. Does this mean I am going to have more problems than
usual regarding access? I have already encountered off leash dogs harassing
my dog, two store managers actually attempting to evict me from stores, and
people actually screaming when they see her in a store. She's a German
Shepherd. Also, many of the taxi cab drivers in this area are Middle
Eastern, so I have given up calling a cab. One too many incidents where the
driver refused to take me because of my dog. I would say that education is
crucial here, which I've done. Even the police departments here don't know
the laws. So what's the answer? I've become weary of it all, and have
decided to heed the advice of a friend, a long time handler, who simply
keeps walking and lets the chips fall where they may. I'm hoping this goes
to litigation, simply because this seems to be the only way laws are
strengthened. Regarding the issue of pooping, this has never happened to me,
but I understand it does happen, much like a child having an accident. I
always relieve my dog before we travel. If it had been me, I believe I would
have left the store.After cleaning it up and apologizing, of course. Bobbie