[nagdu] anticipating

Meghan Whalen mewhalen at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 19:39:46 UTC 2010

Kirby is the queen of anticipation, and I definitely find it to be a useful
skill at times.

What I do is to be sure I have given the command before  she begins to turn,
even if I know she will do it on her own.

I think the concern the schools tend to have is that handlers will be
passive members of the team` and rely on their dogs for more than they
should.

For example, being so dependent on a dog to navigate a complex route with
many turns that the handler wouldn't even know when or where to turn without
that dog.

So, I try to stay one step ahead of Kirby as we walk familiar routes.  I
have to tell her to leave it as we approach familiar turns, or she'll take
me that way, even if that's not where I'm headed.  She has a tendency to be
very persistant that we not deviate from the way we went last time, so if I
were not aware, and I let her go on autopilot, I would be in big trouble
when it came time to go somewhere new, because she would take over and
refuse to go the new     way.

I hope this makes some sense, but, to summarize:

Kirby anticipates, I anticipate her anticipation, and by doing so, I am
still the one making the decisions.  I tell her to turn left, even though I
know she's going to do it anyways, because I want to encourage her to think
of me as the navigator and her as the guide.

Meghan