[nagdu] Odd encounter second edition

Steve Johnson stevencjohnson at centurytel.net
Sat Aug 14 18:00:09 UTC 2010

Tami

Your comments just brought to mind an issue that I have had occur at least 2
times in the past 3 weeks.  The first was when I was on the bus and going
over to see my girlfriend and her guide.  There were some younger adults in
the back of the bus purposely making short whistles trying to gain Misha's
attention.  After a few more whistles, I turned and said that if you are
whistling at my dog I would ask that you please stop as she is working, and
thanked them.  About 15-20 seconds later it again resumed at which point I
quickly turned and stated, that if you continue to conduct yourselves in
this manner, I will ask the bus driver to have you removed.  Furthermore I
am a member on our Transit Board, and I will further see that you are
removed.  And as a special point of interest, it is against the law in the
State of Wisconsin to harass or interfere with a service dog team, and you
are doing both which you can be fined for.  They shut up, and I left at the
next stop.  This again happened just a week ago when some younger adults
were meowing in the back of the bus.  At first, it sounded like a baby, and
it was very difficult to distinguish. When it would occur, the small group
of about 3-4 would laugh.  They exited, and I was uncertain what it actually
was.  I confirmed with the driver what happened and he too believed they
were provoking my guide.  At a meeting this past Tuesday of our ADA Advisory
Committee, and I being the Chair, I presented this and we moved forth a
motion to have management implement a policy not only addressing the new
definition of a service dog, but adding the clause about harassment and
interference of a service dog team can result in immediate removal by the
driver.  The transit company will be working with the drivers to further
educate them on this as they are indeed wonderful drivers, look out for our
best interest as customers using dog guides, and have a vested interest in
such issues.  We are really pushing for a no-tolerence policy that goes
beyond this type of behavior when anyone is facing such harassment,
interference  or verbal comments that are perceived as being harmful or
hurtful to the individual.

Steve