[nagdu] clicker training and venez

Julie J julielj at windstream.net
Sun Aug 15 20:11:25 UTC 2010

Lora,

I'd recommend doing away with the treat pouch.  I'd vary when you give a
treat.  Become a slot machine so he never knows when he'll get a treat and
when he won't.  also you don't want him to anticipate where the treats come
from, except that they come from you.  Right now he's deciding to do the
task based on what he thinks the reward will be.  If he doesn't know what
the reward is he will be much more likely to do the task to find out.

Also I'd avoid giving the cue if you have serious doubts that he's going to
follow through.  Giving a cue that he doesn't respond to will teach him that
it's okay to decide when to do something or not as he pleases. Set him up
for success always.

HTH
Julie