[nagdu] to Jess re: slowing your pooch down

Dan Sweeney daniel.sweeney1 at comcast.net
Thu Aug 19 16:19:51 UTC 2010

Hi Jess,

I almost feel like a experienced "driver" with a fast dog. My boy, Scout"
has had the same problems since I got him 2 years ago. I finally learned how
to slow him down, although it almost drove me crazy doing it.

Every time he/she starts to bolt or move faster than you want, drop the
handle, and make him/her sit, and stay until you and the dog both have are
relaxed, then continue using the "steady" command. If the dog continues,
stop and do the same thing, even if it is only one or two feet later. The
thing is to be consistent with this training method, and do not stop until
you get the desired results.

It has taken me a very long time to get the results I wanted, but it finally
happened after I did these steps. I would suggest doing this training when
you are not in a hurry to get somewhere, or under time considerations, as it
can take a while. If you get frustrated, take a break and try again later.

That is what 2 different trainers demonstrated to me, and it has finally
worked.

Hope this helps a little,

Daniel and Scout