[nagdu] Consumer report

Cathryn Bonnette cathrynisfinally at verizon.net
Fri Aug 20 23:25:28 UTC 2010

Tracy, Marion, and All,

I think the idea of a consumer survey is excellent.

A list of questions regarding policies could be presented in a table or
spread sheet format and be very informative to persons who re considering
applying to a guide dog training school for the first time, to those who are
returning after their first guide, to family and friends of guide dog users,
etc.  One example of a policy question is the ownership status of guide dogs
upon graduation. The guide dog schools could be asked for written or
electronic copies of their policies and a table compiled on that basis.
School contact persons, e-mails, telephone numbers, and addresses could be
included in the table and/or there could be links to the schools' web pages
embedded in the table.  Potentially, the draft table could be circulated to
the schools for corrections/updates as needed.  This table of policy
comparisons could be posted on the NAGDU home page as a basic resource.
Also, a note included with the table could be a disclaimer that because
school policies can change periodically, interested applicants should
contact the schools directly for copies of their current policies.
Example policy areas might include, but are not limited to, the following:

Entry requirements (check all that apply)
Medical report
Eye doctor's report
Recommendations (number required if applicable)
Video
Orientation and mobility report
Etc.

Local Home training
(Yes/No)

Guide Dog ownership upon successful graduation
(Check one. School/Guide Dog User)

And so on.

Does this make sense to anyone?

JMHO