[nagdu] another reason for having your own harness

Katrin Andberg katrin at maplewooddog.com
Sat Aug 21 12:52:56 UTC 2010

Actually CCI (Canine Companions for Independence) one of the largest
nationwide physical disability service dog groups NEVER transfers ownership.
The school ALWAYS owns the dog, or at least until retirement.  It is only
after retirement that if the grad chooses to keep the retired dog they may
apply for ownership.  We think we've got it bad with the guide programs?  At
least I think all of them allow at least at some point transfer of
ownership, if not granting it immediately upon graduation.  I have a friend
with a mobility disability who is thinking of getting a CCI dog and we have
been talking about CCI's policy (and the guide programs policies)
extensively lately.  Neither of us is feeling at all comfortable with CCI's
policy.

Katrin

Katrin Andberg

Katrin at maplewooddog.com

-----

Hello listers.

I haven't been on here a while.

However this subject really struck me deep inside.

When we write on this list serve or any other, these comments are available
to any and all people or schools that care to read now or later in the
archives, and I think we forget that. I know I sure do.

But given that I still would like to say the following about how I feel
about most services for blind people and

At the guide dog schools for the most part and state services for the blind
it seems to me its like two languages are being spoken at the same time.

One language is telling us you really one of us, and the sub language which
is louder is, not really, but to stay in business we have to pretend your
equal.

I am not saying every school and every state services speak these two
languages at once, however in my life experience most do.

I am finding out that the longer I am around the more it hurts. So I try and
stay clear if I can.

When I stop and think about it, there is no other animal training schooling
anywhere I have heard of that says after you and your animal have completed
training you can't have ownership for a year or two, or never.

Can you imagine, if this was any other physical disability group?

Unheard of, I believe.

But we don't as a group for the most part have the money or the drive to
attempt owner training, so we suck up, and take the deal, even though inside
it kills us.

Knowing that there are a couple of schools that transfer ownership at end of
trading as its been said already, speak volumes. These are not two language
schools.

Stepper