[nagdu] choosing a school

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Tue Aug 24 13:02:06 UTC 2010

Hi AnnaLisa.
I had very similar questions when I was getting dogs from GDB, especially
before they changed their ownership contract to be more genuine ownership
instead of a sham.
For me, I'm afraid practicality trumps philosophy most of the time.  I was
happy with the training, and with the dogs I was getting, and with the
relationship I had with the school.  With GDB, it seemed to me that the
higher-ups who make policy had a more custodial attitude than the people I
worked with when I had a problem or needed training, though occasionally
I'd come across a trainer with some silly ideas.
When I decided to switch to TSE, the ownership policy did have something
to do with it, and the attitude it arises from--that we are adults who can
manage our own affairs.  But there were also lots of practical
considerations that tipped the balance, like not having to fly across the
country, and training in my local area.

Which is a long-winded way of saying that I hear where you're coming from.
 If Leader works for you, and you're happy, mostly, I'd call that good
enough.  But only you can decide how much philosophical issues bother you,
and whether voicing your objections is enough.  I don't agree with
everything the NFB says and does, either, but, so far, making my
objections known has been enough for me.
Tracy