[nagdu] Debate rages over whether dog is service animal or pet

Steve Johnson stevencjohnson at centurytel.net
Sun Aug 29 19:57:38 UTC 2010

Jewell and Tami,

Both of you are correct in stating that this dog by no means fits the
definition of a *service dog*, but if proper documentation would have been
provided when she had the opportunity, the Fair Housing Amendments Act,
would have protected her.  It appears she started to follow the process for
requesting a reasonable accommodation, but failed to provide the reason why
she needed it as well as the necessary documentation.  Furhtermore, if you
caught the other issue, which is something that does not jump out at you,
the dog, and note that I said the dog, not her, should not have been allowed
in the City Government building as her dog is not a *service dog* under new
definition, thereby violating access regulations as newly defined in ADA
Title II.  Regardless if it is an emotional support dog, it should have been
denied.

Remember, this issue is not an ADA issue, but a Fair Housing Amendments Act
issue.  I would be very surprised to see the Commission rule in her favor.
Even if they did, it appears that the defendant has their ducks in a row.

I can only reiterate why WAGDU/Wisconsin division, is hosting our inaugural
Service Dog Seminar as all of these laws will be compared against the new
definition now found only under the ADA.  This is a great example of why
handlers of all types need to know the laws, and how each applies to their
situation.

Did anyone notice that she talks about her arthritis, but never shows how
the dog essentially helps with this, but throughout the article, clearly
shows the function of that of an emotional support dog.  Furthermore, did
anyone raise their eyebrows at her stating that it is not specially trained
which clearly under both the old and new definitions in the ADA, exclude it
from falling within the definition of a *service dog*?  It really doesn't
matter though as again, it is not the ADA that comes into play here, but for
the sake of argument, it is very interesting how individuals do not
understand the definitions of therapy, emotional support, companion, comfort
as compared to service dogs can push something that has very little merit,
and furthermore essentially give handlers who have qualifying *service dogs*
greater challenges when they face these similar type of situation.  When
individuals fly off the handle and do not know what they are talking about
when it comes to the laws that would protect them, this to me, is like
fingernails on a chalkboard.

Okay, just my 5 cents worth...inflation you know/smile!

Steve