[nagdu] Article: Service Dog pooping problem.

Artie. anolden at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Aug 30 03:24:48 UTC 2010

http://dogshelp.net/service-dog-pooping-problems.html

Service Dog Pooping Problems?

AUG
28
2010
My service dog, who has been working for more than a year, and is an adult, has suddenly started pooping at Walmart. I am serious. She has NEVER had this problem before, at Walmart or anywhere else. Its as if somehow she got it into her head that Walmart is an acceptable place to poop. She doesn't do it ANYWHERE else. Just Walmart. And just in the last month. Now, there have been some major changes in our lives, so maybe she is stressed, but if so, then WHY JUST WALMART? And much much more importantly, what the heck can I do? I can't have this happen. I have done the whole "nono bad dog" thing, I have done the thing where you put their nose near the poopy and chastise. Please help!
In: Dog Problems Asked By: admin [2 ]
Answer this Question Now 7 Answers

Answer #1
Maybe call the organization that trained her, they probably deal with this a lot.
 Answered By: Oodles of Poodles [ ]

Answer #2
Have you called the organization that placed her with you or was she owner trained?
 Answered By: deafdyke [ ]

Answer #3
This is very strange.. maybe something has upset your service dog. Can you try to reilieve with leash on her toilet spot outside before go out anywhere you want to go, If she does business on her toilet spot where you wanted her to do it for e.g in your garden, praise cheerfully. If this doesn't help, I would suggest you to go see vet about this and contact your service dog trainer whom trained you and your dog to become matched.
I find my guide dog trainer is really helpful when I had some problems with my guide dog, (my guide dog was just being very stubborn to get into the car boot!) my trainer just come and fixed the problems under 5 mins, its very amazing.
 Answered By: yahoomember [ ]

Answer #4
first off, do you go to walmart at a certain time of day? if so, it may just be the time of day that she has to potty. just make sure she goes before she goes in.
also, is it a normal stool or is it runny, etc? if so, it could be the stress from whatever changes you have made.
has there been any kind of trauma in walmart (physical or psychological)? if so, you may need to get a trainer (or contact the organization you got her from if that is the case) to take care of the problem.
a few other tips would be to make sure that you have her on a pottyschedule. i usually get the dogs i train to have a potty schedule of morning and evening so that it is all predictable and i don't have accidents. also, make sure that you are watching for any signals she may be giving you. i train my dogs to look at me and respond when i ask if they have to potty so that i know.
if none of these things work, get it checked out by a vet. there may be some physical reason.
 Answered By: nedoglover [ ]

Answer #5
Try to make sure that she has done her pooping before you go to walmart, and it might not be a bad idea to contact the organization you got her from. Make sure you tell them that this is a recent thing and hasn't been an ongoing problem. And if you want to keep her make sure you let them know that as well. Good luck
 Answered By: CrazyGrl [ ]

Answer #6
Easy answer - Make the dog poop before you bring it into Walmart - end of issue.
Strangely enough - one of the best attributes of a well-trained service dog is the ability to eliminate on command. Perhaps you should utilize this.
FWIW - Sticking the dog's nose in poop will NOT train the dog not to go. it will, however, train the dog to either hide before going or to go on the fly (while walking so you don't notice it is going).
 Answered By: Animal Artwork & the Lou [ ]

Answer #7
First, contact the program that trained your dog. They are supposed to have trainers on hand to help you with these issues.
Second, pushing her nose near it accomplishes nothing. That's not how to train a dog not to toilet in a given location. To do that, you need to take her to Walmart and keep both eyes glued on her the whole time you are there. When she first shows an inkling of thinking about toileting, that's when you correct her (No!) and hustle her outside. Then give her command to toilet and praise her for toileting in the right place.
That's from a training standpoint. From a management standpoint, you need to tell her to empty out before you go in the store, so she hasn't anything to deposit. Just get in the habit of always giving her her toileting command outside, shortly before entering a public accommodation.
If management doesn't deal with the problem, then it's time to consult the vet and rule out a medical cause.
Yes, this can be an indication of stress, in which case you need to find a way to relieve some of that stress or leave her at home until the worst or the stress is over.
 Answered By: Kirsten R [

Do Not forward.  Please Copy and Paste into New Message to pass along.  Use BCC line when addressing.  If  you don't know how, then don't.  Help Prevent Identity theft.